Welcome to the Mendocino County Drought and Water Conservation Resources Webpage! This page contains resources, web links and lists of current events in our area related to drought adaptation and water conservation. The page is a work in progress and will change as the drought conditions change. We need your help in keeping it current! Please send information and announcements to the site administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org. To receive periodic notifications about grants, workshops, and more, send an email to email@example.com to join our newsletter list.
Sediment and Erosion Control Best Management Practices (BMP) Workshop, September 16 from 9am to 5pm, Piercy CA
Salmonid Restoration Federation and Pacific Watershed Associates are offering a BMP workshop and field tour of erosion control sites in Mendocino County. The workshop will cover identifying and evaluating sediment sources, assessing environmental impacts, creating erosion control and prevention plans, designing and evaluating grading plans, and the environmental permitting application process. This workshop is limited in size. Online, advanced registration is $35 until September 1. To register, visit www.calsalmon.org.
The State Water Resources Control Board has developed a Drought Year Water Actions (http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/waterrights/water_issues/programs/drought/index.shtml) webpage to inform water users about the actions taken by the State Water Board with regard to the drought. They have also established a Drought Year Hotline at (916) 341-5342.
The California Department of Food and Agriculture has developed a drought resources web page (link http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/drought/) which is intended to be a central location for information about the drought in California and assistance programs available to farmers, ranchers and farmworkers. The web site is also available in Spanish (link http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/drought/index-esp.html).
Water Wise Water Conservation Resources
- Indoor Water Conservation Tips
- EPA fixture standards
- How to read your water meter
- Leak Detection Guide
- Toilet Measurement Graphic
- Home Water Use Assessment Form
- MCRCD Indoor Water Conservation Powerpoint
- Hidden Water Use: http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/freshwater/embedded-water/ and National_Geographic_Hidden_Water
- Assessing Home Water Usage: www.h2ouse.org
- MCRCD Mendocino County Graywater information
- Drought Landscaping Power Point
- Emergency Water Tank Storage Program
- Mendocino College Agriculture Department
- Wyatt Irrigation Supply
- Village Ecosystems
- Friedman Bros.
- Harvesting Rainwater
- Landscape Irrigation Evaluation
Water Wise Radio Program Series
- Drought Landscaping and Drip Irrigation
- Installing and Maintaining Greywater Systems
- In-Home Water Conservation
- Rainwater Harvesting
- Governor’s Draft Emergency Regulation for Urban Water Conservation (April 18, 2015)
The Draft Emergency Regulation to implement the urban water conservation called for in the Governor’s April 1, 2015 Executive Order is now available on the State Water Board website. Two Fact sheets, the Draft Emergency Regulation and a spreadsheet that provides the residential gallons per capita per day (R-GPCD) and proposed water conservation tiers for each urban water supplier can be found at http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/waterrights/water_issues/programs/drought/emergency_mandatory_regulations.shtml under the “Documents” tab or below.
- Notice of Likely Curtailment of Water Rights: Russian and Eel Rivers (April 2015)
The State Water Resources Control Board has announced that curtailments are likely to be coming soon for the Russian and Eel Rivers. See http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/waterrights/water_issues/programs/drought/analysis/ for more information.
Resources for Ag Producers:
- Agricultural Water Stewardship for Drought Preparedness
- Farm Water Stewardship Fact Sheet
- Mendocino County Approved Water Haulers
- List of Resources for Drought Problems
- Mendo/Lake Farm Service Agency 2014 Drought Relief Info
- UCD Research: How Will Farmers Respond to Drought
- USDA-Emergency Drought Assistance
- County of Mendocino Drought Page http://www.co.mendocino.ca.us/administration/drought/tips-and-resources.htm
- Mendocino County Russian River Flood Control and Water Conservation Improvement District’s Lake Mendocino Updates http://rrfc.net/Water%20Supply
- NOAA National Weather Service Forecast Office, CA Drought Page http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/wrh/droughtca.php?wfo=eka
- The California Department of Food and Agriculture Drought Page http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/drought/